Asparagus, Blue Cheese and Spinach Tart
May is National Asparagus month and so for our recipe this month we have chosen this delicious vegetarian tart which is perfect for picnics and light lunches. Asparagus is a wonderfully versatile ingredient which is quick to prepare and full of goodness.
- 125g strong plain flour
- 65g butter
- Pinch of salt
- Water to bind
- 4 spears of asparagus
- 100g spinach
- 4 eggs
- 100ml double or whipping cream
- 50ml milk
- 100g Cornish blue (diced)
- Salt and pepper
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the salt and then enough water for the pastry to form a dough. Rest the pastry for about an hour.
- Mix together the milk, cream and eggs and then season
- Wilt the spinach in a little oil and place on some kitchen roll to absorb any moisture
- Blanch the asparagus for about 30 seconds in boiling water then plunge into iced water briefly and drain
- Grease and line the base of a 24cm tart tin with silicone paper. Roll out the pastry until it is about the thickness of a one pound coin. Line the tin with the pastry leaving some overhanging the edges.
- Line with cling film and fill with baking beans and bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes. Remove the baking beans and prick the base of the pastry then bake for a further ten minutes.
- Fill the pastry shell firstly with the spinach, then dot around the asparagus and blue cheese. Season to taste then cover with the egg mix
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the egg has set. Can be served hot or cold